Monday, March 19, 2007

Yard Day

If you love to garden, or grow your own vegetables or herbs, this is a must. I inherited a lot of landscaping from the previous owner of our house- shrubs and flowerbeds- when we bought our house, so that is all I do. When we go out of town for the weekend, it's no big deal to miss this day. Many of the things listed here are seasonal, so you may want to check this list as each season rolls around to remind you of what needs to be done.

Here is what I do:
  • weed- all growing season. I tackle a different flower bed each week.
  • fertilize- spring and summer
  • exterminate- twice a year. They sell bug stuff to spray around the edges of the outside and inside of your home at home improvement stores.
  • prune- February for the winter, and as needed during the growing season
  • rake leaves- fall- kids can do this
  • water- summer, I have to do this more than once a week where I live
  • pick up the yard- kids can do this
  • My husband or brother (who lives with us) mows and weed eats- growing season
  • Work on projects- planting or building a deck or whatever improvements you are working on

We can't have fires in our neighborhood. :( But if you live in the country, have your kids go around and gather sticks and trash into a pile, and then have a bonfire. If you grow veggies or herbs, you will have to add all that to the to do list. I don't know much about it. (I know, slacker again. :) ) If you live in an apartment, count your blessings! Work on your car on this day. ??

No comments: